search

Innovative online courses presented by the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology and the American Society on Aging provided members of the Los Angeles Department of Aging management team with valuable evidence-based aging knowledge, said Department General Manager Laura Trejo.

Trejo, who graduated from USC in 1982 and returned to receive her Master of Science in Gerontology and Master of Public Administration in 1987, said her team was able to immediately apply what they learned in the course to their vital work serving the older adults of Los Angeles.

A selection of comments from course graduates:

• “[The course] gave us a clearer understanding of the issues affecting our clientele and how we can better plan and serve with the limited resources available through the grants we manage, and it encouraged us to look for more.”
  • “All topics were valuable, and the greatest value I obtained from the training was the enlightening statistics, which we can use to better prepare and educate our policy makers of the importance of preparing for the exponential growth of seniors in the nation and the world in the decades to come.”
  • “[I’d recommend this course to] policy makers and their staff at all levels of government.”
  • “The Fundamentals of Gerontology course provided me with a broader view of the individual and societal impacts of an aging population. As a Planning Director, the statistical information and forward projections of the older adults were incredibly helpful. I was able to better understand the challenges facing older adults, local communities, and the country in the coming years.”
  • “My colleague immediately noticed how the course affected my presentations and advocacy for senior services in budget briefings with policy makers. It brings the discussions to a policy level instead of using anecdotal citations for the need for senior services. The review of the wide range of disciplines within gerontology was very valuable. The statistical trends and demographic data analysis are the most useful in my work, but I can see how the other sessions directly benefit those dealing with program services and individuals. I would recommend the course to any professional interested in improving their knowledge in this field.”

The next session of the online USC Leonard Davis/ASA Fundamentals of Gerontology course begins April 4, 2016. To learn more, visit http://asaging.org/online-gerontology-courses.

Photo — Top Row (L-R): James Don, Assistant General Manager; Jennifer Ware, Planning Division; Laura Trejo, MSG/MPA, General Manager; Charles Shiver, Information and Support Division; Marco Perez, Deputy Director. Seated: Mariella Freire-Reyes, Older Workers Division; Dale Osborne, Administrative Services Division; Dr. Anat Louis, Program Development Division; Jacob Wood, Program Management Division.

Close Menu