Ways to Give
Make a Gift Online
Be sure to designate your gift to the USC Davis School of Gerontology.
When you make a gift to the Davis School, you have tremendous flexibility in determining how the funds will be used, as well as many options for making your gift.
Unrestricted gifts are among the most valuable to the School, because they allow us to allocate funds wherever the need is greatest, and to take advantage of unique opportunities as they arise.
Directed gifts allow you to designate your gift to a specific program or priority area at USC Davis School. This type of gift gives you the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting a program that is personally meaningful to you.
You also have the option of designating your gift for:
- Current use, to provide funds and flexibility over the short term, or
- Endowment gifts, which provide security over the long term by expanding USC Davis School’s permanent financial base and creating a predictable source of future income for such things as endowed faculty positions, scholarships and fellowships, andbroad-based interdisciplinary research projects.
Types of Gifts
When you make an outright gift to USC Davis School, your contribution can be put to work immediately – either providing funding for current programs or creating a reliable source of future income by expanding the School’s endowment. An outright gift may be composed of almost any asset of value, including the following:
- Cash Gifts – the simplest and easiest gifts you can make – may be made through credit/debit card transactions, outright cash, personal checks, cashier’s checks or money orders made payable to the USC Davis School. USC also has a wire account; please call (213) 821-1660 for details.
- Gifts of Appreciated Securities, Stocks, and Bonds also provide considerable tax advantages when transferred to the USC Davis School before they are sold. If you have held your securities for more than one year, you may find that your gift will provide a two fold tax benefit, creating an income-tax deduction as well as helping avoid the capital-gains tax that would have been due on their sale.
If you wish to transfer stocks from a broker’s account, USC has accounts with major brokerage firms. You also may make a gift of mutual funds, non-marketable stock or closely held stock.
Please call (213) 740-1360 for further details and information.
- Matching Gift programs are an easy way to double or even triple your gift. Many employers will match your gift to the School. Send your contribution as indicated above, along with a completed matching gift form (available from your company’s personnel or employee relations office). For online gifts, simply follow the matching gift instructions when you fill out the form.
- Gifts of Real Estate – including personal residences, second homes, income property and vacant land – offer a wide variety of tax and other benefits. While most people give their entire interest away, it is also possible to give only a portion of the property (an undivided percentage interest) while retaining the rest for other purposes.
USC’s team of planned giving experts can help you create guaranteed retirement income or reduce your estate or capital gains taxes while also making a meaningful gift to the USC Davis School. To learn about deferred or planned gifts, including bequests, life-income plans, and other options for your estate please call Jeff Kliewer at (213) 740-1360 for more information, or visit USC’s main planned giving page.