The Jacobson Lab focuses on how health care policies affect well-being. Much of Jacobson’s work focuses on the supply-side of health care markets, analyzing the effects of direct supply changes, for example hospital closures, on access to care and the impact of reimbursement policy on treatment and outcomes, specifically in the oncology market. Other work focuses on the demand side, assessing the risk-protective value of health insurance for consumers. In addition to being an associate professor at the Leonard Davis School, Jacobson is the co-director of the program on aging at USC’s Schaeffer Center for Health Economics and Policy and a research associate in the health care program at the National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Study testing both remote and in-person approaches to increase the diversity of participants in a brain health registry
- Study testing approaches to increase COVID-19 booster vaccination rates
- Analysis of differences in health care use for persons with dementia in traditional Medicare versus Medicare Advantage
- Jacobson, M, Ferido, P, Zissimopoulos, J et al.. Health care utilization before and after a dementia diagnosis in Medicare Advantage versus traditional Medicare.. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2023; :.
- Haye, S, Thunell, J, Joyce, G et al.. Estimates of diagnosed dementia prevalence and incidence among diverse beneficiaries in traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage.. Alzheimers Dement (Amst). 2023;15 (3):e12472.
- Chang, TY, Jacobson, M, Shah, M et al.. Reminders, but not monetary incentives, increase COVID-19 booster uptake.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2023;120 (31):e2302725120.
- Estenson, L, Kim, N, Jacobson, M et al.. Do age-based discontinuation recommendations influence cervical cancer screening rates? Evidence from the United States' Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2016 and 2018.. Prev Med. 2023;172 :107543.
- Jiang, J, Kim, N, Garrido, MM et al.. Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of palliative care in natural experiments: a systematic review.. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2023; :.