The AirPollBrain Group
The AirPollBrain (APB) Group aims to promote the optimal neurodevelopment in humans and healthy brain aging by better understanding environmental effects of urban air pollution and gene-environment interactions. The APB group developed from a core of USC’s leadership in urban environmental health research in the Los Angeles Basin, with collaborating institutions. Taking a multi-disciplinary research, APB addresses effects of environmental pollution on the brain across the lifespan.
APB is pursuing five main goals:
- Identify environmental risk factors impacting brain health in human populations with different environmental settings and genetic backgrounds
- Develop experimental paradigms relevant to human studies and public health interventions
- Integrate the existing environmental, neurosciences, and public health sciences programs at USC
- Provide the best sciences to support evidence-based regulations to protect the public’s health
- Create resources for training and education in interdisciplinary environmental health sciences from basic environmental biology to societal levels of analysis