After retiring early from a career with AT&T, Corinne Jones went back to school to earn a bachelor’s degree in political science. She remembers it was a class on elder law where she got her first taste of gerontology.
One of our field’s highest goals is ensuring that every older adult receives the care and dignity they deserve. With a Master of Arts in Gerontology, you’ll build on your career experience to champion the seniors behind the statistics.
Is the Master of Arts in Gerontology Right for Me?
The Master of Arts in Gerontology (MAG) degree is ideal if you’re a professional in the field and you want to:
- Earn a rigorous, formal education in gerontology theory and practice.
- Enhance your expertise, sharpen your skills and expand your impact.
- Develop an executive polish to complement your professional experience.
The MAG degree prepares you for:
- Planning, administrating and evaluating programs in the private and public sectors
- Executive positions in the delivery of direct services to older adults and their families
- Consulting for older adults and service providers
- Policy and advocacy work
Enhancing Your Career with Your MAG
The aging-related market is rapidly evolving, getting more complex and sophisticated every year. As a working professional, you want to keep pace by developing current, marketable skills.
That’s why USC Leonard Davis meets you where you are. The MAG provides the same intellectual rigor as our Master of Science, tailored to your professional needs and goals. You’ll gain well-rounded expertise and leadership experience while managing a demanding career.
Your peers in the MAG program come from many backgrounds and walks of life, creating a diverse cohort of seasoned colleagues. This program deepens your professional network and provides a springboard for career advancement.
How Do I Earn My MAG at USC Leonard Davis?
The MAG degree is a 28-unit program. You can complete your studies either on campus or through our convenient online education program. You can also choose to finish in as little as 18 months through our accelerated track.
Students residing in Arkansas, Minnesota or Puerto Rico are not eligible to complete the Master of Arts in Gerontology online via distance learning at this time.
What Will I Study in My Classes?
The MAG program at USC Leonard Davis explores gerontology through a sophisticated, multidisciplinary approach. Your classes integrate research and concepts from different fields, providing connections and context as you pursue academic and career goals.
You’ll explore these subjects through your required and elective courses:
- The Mind and Body Connection through the Lifespan
- Social Policy and Aging
- Administration and System Management
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Complete supplemental application included as part of university application
- In your university application, you must upload your resume and statement of interest
- 2 letters of recommendation, either uploaded in your university application or mailed separately by your recommenders
- Official transcripts should be mailed directly to our office, or submitted electronically. Students must declare all schools on the application and submit transcripts from all institutions attended (even if it was for just one semester) after high school:
USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology
Office of Admission and Student Services
3715 McClintock Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0191
On your university application, include your scholarship application—merit-based scholarships are available to qualified applicants. The GRE may be waived by having strong academics. If the GRE is required, you will be notified during the review process.
STATEMENT OF INTEREST
Your statement of interest plays an important role in helping our faculty consider your application for graduate study. The following prompt is designed to help you but is not an exhaustive list of information you should include in your statement. We recommend that your statement is within three to five double-spaced pages. The statement should be uploaded as part of the university application.
- Tell us why you chose to apply to the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology
- Tell us about your experiences in gerontology
- Describe your educational and career goals
- Please describe your strengths and weaknesses
Learning that Fits Your Life
Whether you live halfway across the world or have a busy career, we make this program work for you. You can earn the MAG degree online, through our robust digital course platform.
All your classes are streamed online, allowing you to interact with your classmates and professors in real-time. Learn more about our online education program.
“Gerontology is the new hybrid career... If you walk out your front door and look around, you will see older people everywhere. There is such a need for people educated in aging that the career opportunities are endless.”Jolene FassbinderMSG graduate and program officer for the Archstone Foundation, which provides grants for innovative projects addressing the needs of older adults
The MAG program at USC Leonard Davis explores gerontology through a sophisticated, multidisciplinary approach. Your classes integrate research and concepts from different fields, providing connections and context as you pursue academic and career goals.Cynthia HutchinsMAG graduate and director of financial gerontology for wealth management company Merrill Lynch
“The MASM program not only solidified my career opportunities, it also expanded my horizons in terms of personal well-being, appreciation of life’s stages and understanding of older adults. I thoroughly enjoyed the many walks of life my classmates brought to the program.”Erik DoanMAASM graduate and program director of Family Adult Day Health Care in Lomita, California
Stories and Spotlights
Educating generations of leaders in aging
Sarah Lamontagne had a busy job at a Rhode Island nonprofit that helps adults age in place, remaining in their homes and communities as they grow older. But that didn’t stop her from pursuing a master’s degree from the USC Leonard Davis School in Gerontology.