Careers in Aging
Many careers of USC Davis School graduates come as a direct result of one or two degrees of separation from their USC gerontology family. Part of what makes the School’s academic experience unique is the close relationships fostered between students and faculty, which provides a direct line to alumni who are leaders in the field of aging. Please visit our alumni pages to see how these bonds between instructors, enterprising students and alums have led to promising careers. This is what we proudly call the “USC Davis School Connection.”
Now that all of our graduate classes and academic programs are blended, featuring online connectivity to supplement on-site courses, enhanced communication will only serve to strengthen our network as our curriculum has the potential to reach out across the entire country and world.
The USC Davis School of Gerontology advertises open positions in the field of aging. Positions will remain posted for 90 days or until they have been filled. To list a job on our job site, please email us relevant information including responsibilities, title, company, and location.
- Current employment opportunities throughout California.
- Provides listings of current books and journals, internet links, tips and companies to research.
- ASA’s student website which has information on conferences and gerontology resources.
- AGHE’s website which contains several articles on gerontology careers, funding information, and calendar of events.
- Website has several articles related to entering the field of gerontology.
- The Gerontological Society of America’s (GSA) career website. Provides job seekers and employers with job listings.
- Contains current nationwide job openings with the Alzheimer’s Association. For more employment openings contact local chapters of Alzheimer’s Association.
- Contains listings of jobs at ASA and other organizations.
- AARP’s career site for job openings and internships in their various departments.
- Occasionally have job listings in the Careers in Aging section.
- Contains information about job openings and student programs at CMS.
- NCOA’s job board allows job seekers and employers to post openings.
Organizations and Programs:
- Alzheimer’s Association
- Local Chapters:
- American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging (AAHSA)
- AOA (Administration on Aging)
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- City of Los Angeles Department of Aging
- Kaiser Permanente
- Los Angeles Department of Community and Senior Services
- National Association of Area Agencies (N4A)
- National Institute on Aging (NIA): Information on training and research opportunities.
- Social Security Administration
- U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging: Information on internship program.
Examples of other employment settings for gerontologists:
- Adult Day Care
- Assisted Living Communities
- Advocacy Groups
- Case Management
- Community organizations
- Elder Law
- Government Agencies
- Long Term Insurance Companies
- Mental Health
- Nursing Homes
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Religious Organizations
- Skilled Nursing Facilities