The Gerontology Enriching Medicine, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (GEMSTEM) to Enhance Diversity in Aging program integrates research, education, and professionalization for aging curious undergraduate scholars at the University of Southern California from underrepresented minority backgrounds.
What is GEMSTEM?
Gerontology Enriching Medicine, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
What’s the difference between a GEMSTEM Scholar and Partner?
- Joins a research group in gerontology as a paid research assistant, and participates in laboratory research every semester. (10) hours of work each week
- Hands-on research training and activities to development of meaningful lab-based skills and/or data analysis, scientific writing and publication, conference presentations
- Receives personalized mentoring and career development advice from leaders in the field, and have access to academic, research, and professionalization resources that are needed for acceptance to top-tier PhD and MD programs across the nation
- Gives participants a competitive edge in graduate admissions (PhD programs, medical school, professional schools). Importantly, GEMSTEM Research Scholars will become integrated members of the premiere geroscience research groups
- Participates in all workshops, seminars, symposia, and community network, and social engagements
- Can switch to scholar-track at any time during their undergraduate studies at USC (if space becomes available)
- Participates voluntarily in all workshops, seminars, symposia, and community network, and social engagements
- Receives a certificate of distinction at graduation( Must participate in at least one event per semester during enrollment at USC
- Member of the GEMSTEM community