search

Q: What program are you in at the USC Leonard Davis School?

Master of Arts in Senior Living Hospitality, Advanced Standing, Class of 2022.

Q: What inspired you to pick this program?

Coming from the finance side of senior living, this felt like the perfect way round out some gaps I had on the operational side. With low expectations, I randomly searched google for “Master’s in Senior Living” and was pleasantly surprised to find this with Leonard Davis School’s reputation backing it.

Q: What do you plan on doing with your degree once you graduate, and what are your career goals?

Goal #1 accomplished last week – I acquired a 96-bed Assisted Living/Memory Care. Goal #2, to own and operate a portfolio of them. The deeper mission is to create vibrant communities where older adults and team members alike can self-actualize, or better yet, community-actualize.

Q: What is the most rewarding or interesting part about studying gerontology at USC?

I gained a tremendous sense of confidence with my place in the industry and a clear path forward for the accomplishments I can achieve.

Q: What are some other projects or activities that you’ve been involved in?

I have worked full-time during the course of this program to acquire communities, including in asset management and acquisitions with a private equity firm. I have been able to educate hundreds of investors about senior living and the expectations necessary coming into the industry.

Q: What is one of your favorite courses you’ve taken at the School?

589: Leadership, it was incredible to learn from so many top industry titans. 502: Marketing, great real-world lessons with Josh and Jim, humble titans in their own right. 550: Administration, the perfect way to wind up the major, putting finishing touches on running a community. It felt like it accomplished the same outcome as writing a doctoral thesis.

Q: What would you want other young people to know about gerontology and working with older adults?

1. Gerontology is at the center of many disciplines.
  2. Decisions you make today add up and affect outcomes down the road.
Close Menu