search

The USC Leonard Davis community recently gathered to honor and celebrate the distinguished career and retirement of Professor Emeritus Jon Pynoos, PhD. Pynoos, a professor of gerontology, dedicated his professional life to researching, writing, and advising governmental and non-profit organizations on ways to enhance housing and long-term care for the elderly.

Several colleagues and students spoke at the event, lauding Pynoos’ impact on their lives and the profession.

“What a pleasure it’s been to to get to know you, Jon,” said Pinchas Cohen, dean of the USC Leonard Davis School. “For over four decades, you have been a beacon of expertise and dedication to aging with dignity and independence.”

Senior Associate Dean Maria Henke spoke of Pynoos’ mentorship following her arrival at the USC Leonard Davis School in 1987.

“He was a wonderful mentor, I really grew up with him,” Henke said. “We’ve had so many good times together over the last three, almost four, decades.”

“Jon had a major impact on me and my career. … I wish you the best of luck in retirement,” said Professor of Architecture and Gerontology Victor Regnier, an expert on housing for older adults and collaborator of Pynoos’. In his remarks, Regnier also announced his gift to the USC Leonard Davis School to create the Jon Pynoos Endowed Scholarship.

Pynoos expressed his thanks to the colleagues, students, staff, friends and family members who supported him throughout his career.

“I am overwhelmed by the kindness and the words of the speakers before me. I’m filled with gratitude for all of you taking the time to come out here today,” said Pynoos. “I was fortunate to have a long career here – 44 years. Gerontology has provided me with so many opportunities.”

Pynoos, who originally trained in urban planning before transitioning to gerontology, said it was difficult to believe that he was retiring and that he was “busier than ever,” including with a project to document the history of housing for older adults.

“I found my calling here with the Trojan family,” he said. “I thank everyone for being on the journey with me.”

Pynoos served as a representative at the most recent three White House Conferences on Aging and presently sits on the Public Policy Committee of the American Society of Aging (ASA). We extend our warmest wishes to Jon as he embarks on the next chapter of his life!

Close Menu