Contact: Orli Belman, email@example.com, 310 709-4156
- Learn why taking care of caregivers is more important than ever
- Hear the latest solutions at USC conference
WHEN: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm, Saturday, October 29 2016
WHERE: USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology, 3715 McClintock Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90089. Media can park in lot A or in designated spaces.
WHO: Donna Benton, director of the USC Family Caregiver Support Center and gerontology professor at the USC Leonard Davis School, along with caregivers and experts from health care providers, government agencies, technology companies and community centers.
WHY: To address important issues including…
- The Costs of Caregiving:
- Health: Research shows that caregiving puts some people at higher risk for depression, major diseases and even death.
- Financial: The AARP estimates that caregivers provide an estimated $450 billion in free labor and often put their own financial security at risk.
- Solutions for Supporting Caregivers
- Technology: Many seniors don’t have smartphones. New programs from ride-sharing companies Uber and Lyft now allow to be hailed through old-fashioned phone calls, easing caregivers’ burden and increasing the ability to get around.
- Policy: New recommendations and efforts are underway to ensure that caregivers are identified and provided with needed services.
- Community: From social connections to meal delivery, local providers can offer an array of services.
- Individual: Exercise, meditation, or just getting time to one’s self can help manage caregiver stress.
RSVP: Please email Orli Belman firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending and/or connecting with experts on these issues.
MORE: The USC Family Caregiver Support Center offers help to those caring for family and friends for all cultures and communities in LA county. Services are low or no-cost to family caregivers and friends who help someone over the age of 60 and funding is provided by in part by LA County Community and Senior Services and the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology.
Call toll-free: 855-USC-6060 (855-872-6060) or visit http://fcscgero.org/